Friday, February 27, 2009

February

For the past two years the month of February has been packed full of life changing moments. Last year Big Daddy underwent knee surgery, which keep him out of work for 12 weeks during which time he contracted a blood clot. From the monthly blood work they found trouble with his thyroid and now he sees a Endocrinologist/Doctor bi-monthly for a very rare thyroid disorder. And did I mention he is still on blood thinners. Fast forward to now... This week Mimi and Pop (my parents) are off cruising the Caribbean with extended family. On Monday after school Tater came home crying with a headache. He took some Motrin and went to bed. Later around 6pm he awoke feeling better so he played in his last basketball game of the season and scored! Not to mention playing some of the best defense all season! But moments after the game ended he began to complain again so back home we went. Tuesday morning he awoke sick and complaining again so he and I missed school that day. I called his Doctor around noon and described his symptoms. They said if they lasted more than 24 hours call back for an appointment. All day Tater laid around sleeping and fussing. That evening around dinner time he was refusing to get-up and covered-up with many many blankets. I took his temp. and it was reading 105 at home. We called for an appointment at after hours and we were seen at 7:15 pm. They took Tater's temp and it was reading 105.9 both in the ear and under the tongue. They took it the old fashion way (in the buttocks) and it read 106+. They stripped him down and used cooling blankets along with Motrin and fluids. We spent the evening in medical care for what they called the FLU and returned home Wednesday. Tater stayed out of school until today. He is feeling much better and is almost back to par. His appetite is still weak but overall improving. I mentioned Arthur and Libby off cruising because a week like this made me realize how much we depend on each other. I sometime fuss about them but boy do I miss them and all that they do. Did I mention Saban sure misses Pop too! And Big Daddy said just last night it sure will be nice when they return so Tater will stay in his bed all night! I hope next month calms down a bit and maybe next February won't have a medical emergency in it!

No comments: