Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cooking In The Kitchen

Let me just begin by mentioning that this recipe here is Simple, Quick and HEALTHY!!! I created it this Summer.  This is a twisted idea based on a Mexican-American classic Taco Salad. It's no secret I love salads and I really like them in the Summer time.  Do you remember I've got a little Greek in me as well? ~ That's where the twist comes in.  I call this one...

GREEK GODDESS MOCK TACO SALAD


First up you need some REALLY good Greek Seasoning. The one in the yellow/Cavender's, it's sold in most any grocery store but the other well it is a local restaurant here in the "HAM" special house blend. The joint is called The Fish Market. If you can't get to them maybe try shopping at the seafood counter of a grocery store like Publix or even try Penzey's spice online or stop in one of their stores.


Next up is seasoning and cooking the boneless chicken breast. I put a few tablespoons of EVOO in a skillet. Next up arrange the chicken into the pan. Sprinkle vigorously with both seasonings. Flip chicken and do it again on the other side as well. Now turn the heat up to med-high and sear the meat on both sides. Small boneless chicken breast like the ones I used will cook in about 4 minutes on each side. When they are done slice them up and set them to the side while you prep the salad.


Okay now for the basic Greek Salad. I prefer the shredded lettuce just like you use for tacos. Top it off with a pile of Feta cheese a generous (start with 1 1/2 teaspoons)sprinkling of the yellow/Cavender's and then drizzle the EVOO over the top. Toss and you are done!

Now we are ready to assemble with our "toppings". Think of it just like Taco Salad. You need chips right? So here we are using Stacy's Pita Chips. Then top it with the sliced chicken, and the basic Greek salad. Then add the extras, for us that was cucumber, tomatoes, kalamata olives and peperoncini's. You could add a little onion or go all out Greek and add a scoop of potato salad.


Here's the final plate just before the first bite: Y U M !!!

No comments: