Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother and Daughter


Okay, so I am late with my Mother's Day post. I am aware of this. I believe I was suffering from writers block. I had the pictures picked out but I couldn't get the right words, until today when I attended a funeral for a long time family friend Mrs. Norma Faye. I found my inspiration to my own mother in the message of her funeral. Although we didn't talk on the phone for hours today, you managed to share your thoughts with me today in the book dedication you had read at your funeral- Thank you Faye, you will be remembered as a dear friend.

Many of you know my mothers thoughts on children. You have even heard her say, " I don't really like kids." or "I only had one for a reason". That's her side of the story this is mine.

What you read above may sound cruel to you but then you don't know my mother. She never said she wished she hadn't had me or that she didn't love me. On the contrary, I don't think she could love me more. You see even though she says these things she has always put me first. Many of you may not know this but my mom is afraid of both water and heights. In the pictures above you see us by a pool twice. She is right by my side. She even took me to swimming lessons so that I might not have the same fear. I don't have it pictured but when I was a young girl she put her own fears aside and would ride the roller coasters at the amusement parks right beside me so that I wouldn't be afraid. My mom has never been one to like animals but always took me to the zoo and eventually gave in to having a dog around the house. This was a huge sacrifice on her behalf. (And even though she won't admit it, she did grow quite found of Alex.) My mom was always supportive of my education and athletics. She lent her knowledge and artistic talent to papers and projects and attended nearly ever game I ever played in. Whether it was volleyball or basketball in the gym or softball outdoors. (FYI Libby does not like to sweat but she did it for me.) My mother was there for me when I was heartbroken over my first love and she was there to help plan the wedding of my dreams to the man I love. She was right by my side through my pregnancy and is there to help guide me in my own motherhood.

I have learned so many things in life from my mother. She raised me to respect myself. She instilled a belief to dream big and make it happen and if given a bucket of lemons make lemon-aid. She taught me never to pay full price on clothing, bargain shopping is half the fun. She taught me how to cook like a pro and she reminded my that life's too short not to bake the cake - hence the Bakery Business. She reminds me to find the humor in everything and that laughing at yourself is half the fun. She makes me see that the sacrifices I make for myself are all gained in giving first to Tater.

Recently I looked in the mirror and realized just how much I look like her. And on a weekly basis I answer the telephone only to be reminded how much I sound like her. I used to disregard these similarities but lately I have come to regard them as compliments to us both.

If there is one thing I wish she would teach me , it is how to ALWAYS be right!
I LOVE YOU MOMMA !

No comments: