Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Our Hero! Oh BTW, Does anyone speak Slytherin?


Back almost 3 weekends ago, Big Daddy got a case of Spring Fever and headed outside for some early season yard work.  He mowed the "dead grass", trimmed hedges and bushes and cut back tree limbs. Did I mention all this came after he and Mr. Coby re-screened the back deck on Saturday. While in the back yard cutting the tree limbs overhanging onto the retaining wall our troublesome and mischief dog, Saban was his usual self.  He was right under Big Daddy's feet and every time a limb was cut, Saban thought it was a new log toy except one time. I was watching from the patio when suddenly Saban began to lunge at what looked like Big Daddy's feet. Next I heard some yelling and the chain saw swinging at the ground.  I ran over to see what the commotion was all about only to see this years first captured snake.  Thanks to Saban's heroic actions Big Daddy was saved from the encounter with a small copperhead.  As much as I hated to do it. I took the snake over to the driveway and killed it by hitting it with a hammer. You see snakes don't bother me all that much but because copperheads are poisonous and Tater and his friends play back there not to mention the back yard is Saban's main habitat I felt it was necessary.

Here it is just barely Spring and the little boogers are already showing their slithering selves.  Last year we captured and killed 4-5 copperheads.  Where are they coming from you ask? Your guess is as good as mine. I was really hoping that our snake population was decreasing this year. Looks like we are gonna have to really be on our toes this year or as asked in the title, We are gonna have to study up on our Slytherin (from Harry Potter). LOL

No comments: