Saturday, August 1, 2009

Food For Thought...Asian

Do you know that we eat Asian Cuisine at least 2 times a week? Now this includes Chinese, Japanese, Korean BBQ, Sushi, and Thai. During my pregnancy with Tater-man I ate Chinese food at least every other day, no lie. It is our family's version of fast food equal to a meal at McDonald's. We have even become friends with the owner's of our favorite Chinese Restaurant just down the road from our house. Here is a list of my favorite eats:

Chinese: Mu Shu Pork - I love the plum sauce they spread on the thin pancakes before filling them with the delicious cabbage and pork stir fry. Not to mention that every time we order it, I fill the urge to watch Disney's movie Mulan!

Japanese: Fried Rice cooked on a Teppanyaki grill right in front of you. It's like dinner and a show. And don't forget the ginger salad dressing. I usually buy the dressing to take home- Yummy!!!

Korean BBQ: By far my favorite of all Asian cuisine. I even enjoy the Kimchi they serve as an appetizer to the main course - Spicy Galbi (Beef short ribs) OMG !!! At the restaurant we dine at it is cooked on a gas grill in the middle of the table and served with grilled onions and lettuce to make a wrap- best dish ever! Try a glass of Fuki Plum Wine along with this meal.

Sushi: My favorite is a Double Shrimp Roll but Big Daddy's is the Spicy Tuna. We are not very adventurous since we found some we really like. The Rainbow Roll and the Octopus are also tasty treats and a safe bet for a beginner is the Cali Roll. We have started getting Sushi to go from our local Whole Foods Market. It is made to order and a great picnic meal, of course you gotta take a cooler along.

Last but not least is Thai: This is my least favorite of Asian cuisine and I am still struggling to order. It seems I like our friend Brian's Thai cooking more than I like it out at the restaurant. His coconut soup is wonderful and the best medicine for a winter cold. And his Pad Thai is way better that what we had out at the restaurant. I have to say I was not a fan of the Thai Iced Tea or the entree Wing of Angel, but I'm not giving up just yet. As for the restaurant we chose here in town the desserts alone are other going back for. The Ginger Lime Cookie Bar was a tasty treat!

Oh and if you haven't tried the Japanese soda called Ramune you need too. Each bottle has a marble in the glass. Pretty cool and the kiddos love them, not to mention myself. Tater's favorite flavor is the Original (a lemon/lime) . There are so many flavors. We've had orange, lychee, strawberry, pineapple, and melon. We also have tried Japanese milk candy?!? Let me know what you think of it.

Something we look forward to as a family after each Asian meal is reading aloud our fortune's from our cookie. Tater gets a big kick out of them and sometime they fit just perfectly. We have no traditions in selecting a cookie and we don't care if someone else chooses for us. Here are just a few from this week:

Tater's: "Keep an eye open for an opportunity in the field of sports." - He is trying out for positions on the football team as I type.

Big Daddy's : "Keep you eyes open on Thursday for a special opportunity." - He just got this on Friday. Gonna have to wait a week and see?

Mine: I got 2 in 1 " Use your talents. That is what they are intended for." and "This is a good time for you to take a risk. You will succeed." In case you haven't been reading, I am really serious about "jumping out of the boat" with a bakery. And here is mine from just a few days ago " Soon someone new in your life will become a very good friend." - I did my first "meet someone through blogging" recently? and I have meet another fellow Greek within my bakery business plan?

I got a question: "Do any of you try your luck with the numbers on back?" You know for the lottery or a raffle drawing. We rarely ever buy any tickets ourselves, but Pop does. I don't know if he plays his numbers. He mostly gets what they call computer picks.

Boy all this typing is making me hungry :) Anybody up to going out for Asian?

No comments: