Come on sing it with me, you know the lyrics ...things are gonna get brighter!
Just over 30 years ago I used to throw a fit for what I wanted. Proof is in the picture above. Yes, that's me. My point is sometimes I still feel like throwing a fit.
This post is very personal for me.
This past year I have grown physically, mentally and spiritually. It's true we have been attending church regularly this past year. And it's true that when we miss I usually log on to our church website and follow along to the message. I even attend Bible study groups and we eat at church on many Wednesday nights. I also went to work for a church. Yes it's true all roads lead to Him. Some predicted this change, and truthfully at first I was not looking forward to it but now I welcome it with open arms. I used to take for granted my family. Now I have a better relationship with Big Daddy. We go on real dates! We also have more quality family time. And I am more active in Tater's life then ever.
I guess what I am trying to say is I am more aware of my responsibilities as a Christian, as a parent, as a wife, as a U.S. Citizen and as a teacher. For instance, Big Daddy and I regularly go out, just the two of us. We have even been on a few trips. Even if they were centered around Alabama football - Rollllll Tide Roll! We spend more of our weekend with Tater and his friends doing what is fun for them, like; movies, sporting events, ice skating, putt-putt, video games, cars, soft air guns etc...We are more involved in his life now. We are watching him grow and taking a part in it! Childhood is once in a lifetime. Looking back on my own childhood there are few times I can recall wishing I had done things differently. I know that it is because of my parents and the job they played in raising me. Time for a shout out: Mimi and Pop: "Y'ALL ROCK!!! XOXO!!!" We are doing better at setting an example.
I am careful to select proper TV shows in Tater's presents and I am very selective about the music we download or listen too and I am still involved in the purchasing of clothes. Here is the thing; all this doesn't make a hill of beans if I, as his parent, am not willing to adhere to the same standards. Nobody really wants a V.W. for a parent. FYI: This was a mother to a classmate of mine growing up. She dressed from the same stores as her daughters and she was very flashy, listened to the latest tunes and for lack of better words "partied like a rockstar". Looking back I can remember that she "stole the show" aka attention from her daughters. Later on in high school she died in a car wreck but even after her death she was talked about and described by everyone as a "hoochie mama".
Don't get me wrong I NEVER said I am perfect. Sure just the other night I asked Big Daddy if we could start a swear jar. His reply was if we had started a year ago we would have enough to go to Hawaii. I replied we will have to settle for Gatlinburg this winter!?! My point is I am a working process. Better because I am willing to change.
We have so few years with our children while they are young and moldable. The Bible says: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6 Or Deuteronomy 11:19 Teach your children My Words, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
As for my Country, I am gonna have to get on my Soapbox. I cannot understand my friends and family that care so little. Most of my friends are older than me and I have always assumed this to be because I am mature for my age. But over the years I have come to the terms that when it involves politics, "age" is NOT maturity. I pray daily for my Country and for our soldiers and their families. For our leaders and my fellow citizens. I have this one friend (you know who you are girl :) )that is more informed about our Country than me and her 9 year old son is almost as much as her. I use to think he was too young to understand but this summer Tater and I have had some very interesting conversations started by him about our Country.
I love me some Fox News and I read Glenn Beck's Common Sense book before I finished Finger Lickin Fifteen by Janet Evanovich which if you know me at all says something!?! Here's the deal: I DON'T CARE what side you vote donkey or elephant, just get involved people. Do what is RIGHT!!! If you won't do it for yourself do it for your kids or your future grandkids!!! We all take for granted what we have here in America and it's time we all do something for the "LAND THAT I LOVE".... Sing it with me "Stand beside her and guide her thru the night with a light from above. From the mountains to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam. GOD BLESS AMERICA, MY HOME SWEET HOME !!! Play ball :)
One last thought on the topic of our country Just a few decades back people stood up for what they believed. Leaders were created and followers stood along side for what they believed. For example, Martin Luther King Jr. had people standing up for what they believed all the while being beaten down. Would you walk in those shoes? Do you stand for anything that you would take that kind of beating for? Do we have anyone willing to lead us in the right direction? Will you pray with me for our Country?
Because I am a teacher my new year begins in August. This past year has brought change, for the good :) I pray this new year is full of goodness and mercy and that I not only teach my class but learn from my surroundings too!!! I am never above learning. I hear that change is in the air, can it be?
No comments:
Post a Comment