Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Classroom Art

This is my own version of "show us your"... and today I want to share with you artwork from my students.
In my classroom art is broken down into 3 main learning categories each week.  We do art associated with our weekly theme, with our letter of the week and our Bible lesson. (And we do include art in our color of the week, our shape of the week and our number of the week.) I strive to cover at least 2 areas every day for 5 days a week, thus we have TONS of art!  We collect one theme and one letter each week to keep in our memory book. (A keepsake journal I put together over the whole year including so much more than just art.) The memory book deserves a whole other post to itself and I will post pictures of it, eventually.  I like to keep art to hang in the classroom but it is also very important to me that the children have art sent home weekly so that they can decorate their rooms and refrigerators too :)

I hang art all over the room and yes even from the ceiling too. Each student has their own wall-mounted clipboard that we also feature a weekly art lesson on. Once every 5 weeks my classroom is featured in the hall "Art Gallery", just another display of their talent. My "Cool Penguins" warm my heart and I hope you enjoy viewing their masterpieces.

The leaf with caterpillar was an art project we did to reflect our classroom participation in "Read for the Record" The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  The owl's we did during Fall theme unit in relationship to our forest hike and what we saw.  The fish bowls were created for letter "Ff" craft.- the "rocks" are nerds candy glued down and of course we all ate some too:) And the scarecrows and crows in the cornfields were done during fall harvest unit and helped review our shapes and colors. The clipboard features a visual reminder to our Bible memory verse and lesson: For everything created by God is good. 1 Timothy 4:4

Of course we don't just do art all day long. It's just the best way to express learning. So far this year we have learned to write our first name correctly meaning capitalize first letter lowercase as follow, we have learned #'s 1-5 in this form (1/one/1st), the days of the week, months of the year, Pledge of Allegiance, 11 Bible memory verses, the Ten Commandments, 10+ site words, rhyming words, 1-12 on a clock, letters of the alphabet (written and sound).... just to name a few. WOW WEE!

We will do our part to keep learning and I will try to post a monthly classroom "view".

No comments: