I have recently been introduced to this blog www.kellyskornerblog.com
She has a weekly invitation to post on a certain topic. It is called "show us your life"...
I am gonna try to keep up on the posting. So here we go!
This week it is Show Us Your Life- Tailgates and Favorite Teams
If you know us (the Hines family) that is, then you know that we ROLL with the TIDE! - For college football.
I myself have been going to games as far back as the mid 80's with my Daddy aka Pop. I've even been to a few Alabama games played in Birmingham at Legion Field. (Yeah I know that is showing my age, oh well.) It was a great venue and almost as much fun as the T-Town games.
As any fairy tale would have it I married a man who is also a fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide. If the truth be told, Big Daddy probably ranks as one of Bama's biggest fans. Now don't get too excited, he's not painting an A on his chest ( He's too hairy) nor is he the guy you see on TV holding a roll of TP and a box of Tide detergent but he is a devoted fan who tunes in for every game. Thank goodness for TIVO. Boy do we have some football stories over the years. Like every year when Tater's birthday rolls around, I have to get really creative and keep the party celebration outside of the football schedule. And 3 years ago we went to Maryland for Thanksgiving. Oh I may never live that one down. The game was against Auburn that Saturday and we were traveling home. Big Daddy and Pop made us stop overnight in Johnson City, Tenn. just to watch the game. And of all places TN home to the Vols. They don't like us Bama fans much.
Over the last 15 years we have been to our fair share of both home and away games. Our tailgating routine changes with every game and every season. Mostly because for the last 4 years we have been Tater's biggest fans and huge supporters of the Leeds Youth Greenwave! (Plug in) Our 115# boys are undefeated so far this season ROLLING A 6-0 so far! ROLL GREENWAVE ROLL!
Last year we went to the BAMA vs LSU game in Baton Rouge! We drove down early Saturday and after moving our car to a 2nd parking spot, because we drove Mimi & Pop's red Corvette, we arrived at our seats within minutes of kickoff! What a game! The atmosphere was intense and to add to our fun we sat within the Alabama student section :) They called us Mama & Poppa. Do I really look that old?
As a special treat last year we followed Alabama to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. We had some great food and a good times despite our loss to the Ute's. One thing I've noticed following Bama out of town was that when ever we passed another Bama vehicle they would blow their horns and wave like maniacs- Is this pretty much the norm? I'll tell you this after a few hours we joined in like it was the thing to do :)
As for tailgating traditions ours have always been pretty simple, but lots of fun! When in T-town we always pack a cooler full of drinks and snacks, our lawn chairs and of course take either the truck or the suv for tailgating. If the weather is in question or we are pressed for time we load up in the car for T-town and once settled into a parking place we head over to Pepito's Mexican restaurant on University Blvd about 2-3 blocks from the stadium. They've got pretty tasty food and good margarita's.
We've been lucky enough to take Tater to a few home games too. And we rarely miss the A-day game in the spring. This past August Big Daddy took Tater to Fan Day and they were able to meet and greet with many of the players.
Bama football is a southern tradition and one I hope we participate in more over the years to come but for now our focus is on Tater and his team(s). We've just got 2 more years of park ball (peewee) before Tater will be able to play for the middle school team and lucky for us they practice and play during the week :o)
I'll leave you with a few pictures of how we ROLL- both for the Crimson Tide and the Greenwave.

No comments:
Post a Comment