Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Here is what our trip to the beach taught us...


1. Life is like a box of chocolates - from Forest Gump

Let me explain. You get what you pay for truly applied to our condo rental this year. I was so excited to find a "deal". A one bedroom located on the beach for 7 nights/8 days for under $1000.00 tax, cleaning fee and etc. charges! Sounds good right? Well we didn't contract any diseases that we are aware of but I believe that was because I spent the first hour we arrived cleaning; sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and scrubbing sinks and tubs. After a quick inventory I added plastic silverware to the Walmart list and a warning to all that no one was to open that drawer at all! We had packed paper plates and cooking utensils so that helped. I was able to salvage one plastic bowl, one pot say 4 quart (no lid) and one small skillet to prepare our meals on. As for the decor it was just like the pictures online and I was pleased until... we tried turning on the TV in the living room. We had sound but no picture. Tater and Big Daddy were the most disappointed without the TV because they can't go more that an hour or two without one being on. and I have to admit I really wanted to experience a flat screen mounted up high on the wall. It has always been a dream of mine to lay in bed and the TV be hung on the ceiling. I sleep on my back. How perfect would that be. The condo's TV was as close as I was gonna get to the dream thing, oh well.

2. When given lemons; make lemonade!

Even with the above let-down we had a really good time. Our friends the Moon family also went to Orange Beach at the same time so we had friends to share some of our experiences with and to create memories with. We spent most of our time on the beach this trip. Which we all seemed to really enjoy.

Big Daddy enjoyed just kicking back in the sand with his cooler and ipod speaker. He can relax like nobody I know. He would occasionally test out the ocean but he spent most of his time on the sand. He loved throwing the football with Tater and the Moon kids. He also feed the seagulls with the kiddos and took them for long beach walks and lent his architectural expertise to a few good sand castles.

Tater played all day, each day at the beach. He would ride his boggie board for hours and then dig holes in the sand with his friends. They took turns burying each other up to their necks in the sand. They went on long walks that helped to bond their long term friendship and they would shell hunt together for hours.

I truly enjoyed my time spent on the beach. I was able to read TWO whole books! I recommend both. They are the first two titles released by Emily Griffin, Something Borrowed followed by Something Blue. And I was blown away with the second. I read the first chapter and told everyone I would hate this book, but that was not the case at all. It had me crying a few times. Thanks to Big Daddy and his muscles for carrying my zero gravity chair each day down to the beach and back. I was able to sunbathe comfortably. I took a long walk with the kiddos myself. This was a treat because I learned so much more about each of them just listening, the key is listening. I myself need to do more listening; to God, to family, to the children, to... the list just goes on and on.

On day 5 we went over to NAS Pensacola to watch the Blue Angels practice. No matter how many times I see a jet airplane fly, I am still amazed and entertained. It's the tomboy in me. And I also like the men in uniform. I LOVE the military. I did not marry a man that has served but many of the men in my family have (my daddy and both my grandfathers and 3 of my uncles). May God bless our Military!!!


On day 6 Ra-Ra scheduled us for a Dolphin cruise and we ALL had a BLAST. We saw a few baby dolphins and lots of adult ones. We cruised for a little over 2 hours and we all got a touch of sunburn. Get this: The only time anyone in the group got burned was at the airshow and on the boat. Go figure.

On day 7 everyone headed back out to BHM. Big Daddy, Tater and I still had another night on our package but our other son, Saban, from the animal family, was giving my parents a hard time and I was afraid someone was on his way to the pound. So we loaded up but before heading home we stopped to visit my FAVORITE ZOO in the Country, no make that the World and I am a zoo expert. (You may not know this but I used to work in the veterinary field before Tater was born - more on that another time.) The name of the zoo is Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo. It is the home of the animal planet TV series The Little Zoo that Could. AMAZING. I am only sad that we have never been able to attend their summer camp. This year it was the week after our trip and my surgery was already scheduled. (I'll post about my surgery soon.) Anyways if you ever get the chance you MUST visit this zoo and check out their story. In my pictures Big Daddy is feeding his favorite goat. He and this goat have history. Just a few years back on our first family visit we were feeding the goats and BD was looking around (not focused on this one goat) when all of a sudden this goat bite down on the cup in big Daddy's hand and yanked it up. The cup hit BD in the chin and off with it and all its contents the goat ran. We laughed til we cried at Big Daddy's shock and startelement. I choose to feature the tiger cubs and the retired show tigers for this visit (pictures). I may be a bleeding red Alabama fan but the big cats of the world are very special to me. Daniel and the lions den is one of my favorite Bible stories.


FUN was had by all! The trip was both relaxing and refreshing and a well deserved treat. I cannot believe I am going to admit this but next year I think we are going to have do another one of the Orlando trips!?!? Time will tell.

Lastly it wouldn't be a complete post from Yours Truly if I left out the food. We found a great local joint in Bon Secour called Tin Top and they serve fabulous cuisine that we all recommend! You can check out their website too. http://www.tintoprestaurant.com/ Their online menu does not do them justice. They have a chalkboard full of specials and treats awaiting you. Big Daddy's tuna steak was superb and the seafood Alfredo was refreshing and hearty all at the same time. I recommend the raw oysters but if you can't get them down you must try their Dirty Dozen. Yummy! Oh, and for you land lovers they have stock in a local cattle farm and I had the Steerbutt - OMG! I ate the whole thing. For those of you that don't know me that is a huge compliment to any steak. In my nearly 33 years I can count on one hand the times I have eaten a whole steak no matter the cut. I am going back again for the steak alone. We loved the food and atmosphere so much we went twice in one week and plan on visiting them again.
On this trip we cooked many of our meals. Shortly, I am going to post a few recipes I prepared on the trip. Try them for yourselves. They all were very tasty!

P.S. The donkey pictured at the top is from the zoo. We talked for hours, literally? I love him/her? and every visit we spend time together.

No comments: